Chocolate pumpkin loaf/ or cake mini donuts (makes one loaf or 16 mini donuts)
1/4 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons coconut oil (or canola oil)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water, divided (see note)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup sugarleaf sugar substitute
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Vegan Chocolate Ganache
¼ cup light coconut milk
¼ Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Also, boil some water in a tea kettle
Put applesauce, coconut oil and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together
flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
2. Measure out 1/3 cup boiling water and pour into the bowl with the chocolate mixture, mixing quickly to make a smooth chocolate sauce. Add pumpkin, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
3. Dump about half of the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and gently stir just to incorporate, then measure out 1 tablespoon of boiling water and stir again. Now add the rest of the flour mixture and another tablespoon of boiling water and stir just until smooth. Take care not to overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared greased loaf pan or pipe with piping bag into ungreased nonstick mini donut pan.
5. Bake loaf for 55 minutes to an hour. Stick a steak knife into the center of the loaf to check for doneness. A little bit of wetness is okay since it could be from a chocolate chip, but the knife should come out mostly dry.
Bake mini donuts for 10 minutes.
6. To make chocolate ganache, put coconut milk in a bowl and cover with saran wrap and microwave for 1 min or until close to boiling. Take out and stir in chocolate chips with a whisk. Put in parchment bag and pipe on donuts.
Enjoy with coffee!