Adapted from a recipe from PBS
Servings: 8 (You can do 1/4 of the recipe to accommodate a smaller portion)
- 16 oz small shell pasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 16 oz grated cheese blend( You can also use shredded cheddar)
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (1/2 15-oz can)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepot over medium high heat, melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk together and cook for thirty seconds. Add 2 cups milk and whisk until smooth. Add another cup of the milk. Cook for four minutes while whisking. The mixture will thicken.
- Add 12 ounces of the grated mixed cheese (reserving about a handful of grated cheese) and stir well so that the cheese melts. Add the salt followed by the additional cup of milk and the pumpkin puree.
- Once everything is smooth, add the cooked macaroni and toss well. Pour into a 9" by″13"″ casserole pan and top with the remaining grated cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
one serving: 439 calories 8.7g fat 26.4 g protein 56.4g carbs 4.63g dietary fiber 7.59g sugar