For the cupcakes: makes 15
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup & 1TB Sugarleaf sugar substitue
3 large eggs
17 oz. sweet potato puree ( either boiled or baked in the oven)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3TB flax meal
For the frosting: Ices 16 cupcakes
4 large egg whites
1 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; stir together with a fork and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Note: Sugarleaf does not cream as well as regular sugar.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Mix in the sweet potatoes and vanilla extract, beating just until combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing just until incorporated.
5. Scoop the batter with ice cream scoop into the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
1. Combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in the top of a double boiler. (Note: I just set my clean, dry mixer bowl over simmering water, to avoid dirtying two bowls.)
2. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it reaches 160° F with an instant-read thermometer.
3. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk starting at low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. Mix in the vanilla until combined. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
4. Use a small kitchen torch (if you have one) or can put in oven on top rack on Broil setting. Be careful to watch carefully so that the marshmallow frosting just slightly browns to leave a crispy shell. Yum!
Regular cupcake no frosting: 222 calories, 13.6g fat, 23 g carbs, 1.32 g fiber, 4.72 g sugar
Cupcake with frosting: 274 calories, 14.5 g fat, 4 g protein, 35.5 g carbs, 17.22 g sugar